Summer Veggie Pie Recipe
This is a favorite in late summer because family and friends grow the ingredients, then pass them on to my sister and me. We have fun creating meals together.—Florence Palmer, Marshall, Illinois.
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3 cups sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 small tomatoes, seeded, chopped and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a bowl, cut butter into flour until crumbly. Gradually add the water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand for 10 minutes. In a skillet, saute zucchini and onions in oil for 5 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer to plate; trim and flute edges. Spoon tomatoes over crust. Top with zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper; pour over cheese. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 370 calories, 24 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 158 mg cholesterol, 465 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC