This is a favorite in late summer because family and friends grow the ingredients, then pass them on to my sister and me. We have fun creating meals together.—Florence Palmer, Marshall, Illinois.
Recommended: Summer Farmers Market Recipes
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3 cups sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 small tomatoes, seeded, chopped and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a bowl, cut butter into flour until crumbly. Gradually add the water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand for 10 minutes. In a skillet, saute zucchini and onions in oil for 5 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer to plate; trim and flute edges. Spoon tomatoes over crust. Top with zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper; pour over cheese. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Summer Veggie Pie in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p194
Reviews for Summer Veggie Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2009
"I THINK SOMEONE FORGOT PART OF THIS RECIPE? SORRY ABIUT THAT, I REREAD AND THE RECIPE IS ALL THERE. IT'S ME WHO'S NOT."