Summer Vegetable Soup
"This vegetable soup is chock-full of garden goodness, from zucchini and green beans to celery and potato, but it's the turmeric that gives it a tasty new twist," says Edith Ruth Muldoon of Baldwin, New York.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced peeled red potato
- 1/2 cup cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the next
- eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in celery leaves and tomato paste. Cover and let stand for 5
- minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 210 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1,128 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat,