Summer Vegetable Salad Recipe
THIS SALAD is not only delicious, it helped our family weather the Depression. I still remember lining up with Papa to receive dried beans and a 10-pound sack of yellow cornmeal. We used the cornmeal to make polenta. Mother made this salad with vegetables from the garden, and it really tasted good with the polenta. -Rudy Mancini, Calistoga, California
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar if desired. Add remaining ingredients and toss gently. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 each: 131 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein .
Reviews for Summer Vegetable Salad
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2014
"Light, great summer side. Easy to put together."
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC