THIS SALAD is not only delicious, it helped our family weather the Depression. I still remember lining up with Papa to receive dried beans and a 10-pound sack of yellow cornmeal. We used the cornmeal to make polenta. Mother made this salad with vegetables from the garden, and it really tasted good with the polenta. -Rudy Mancini, Calistoga, California
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar if desired. Add remaining ingredients and toss gently. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Summer Vegetable Salad in Reminisce July/August 1995, p47
Reviews for Summer Vegetable Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2014
"Light, great summer side. Easy to put together."