Summer Sub Sandwich
"Being originally from the Northeast, we love submarine sandwiches," shares Jennifer of Concord, Ohio. "So I came up with this hearty ham-and-cheese combination that's good either hot or cold."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 slices fully cooked ham
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 banana peppers, thinly sliced
- Cut French bread horizontally in half. Spread bottom half with cream
- cheese; layer with ham, provolone cheese and mushrooms. Replace top.
- Cut sandwich crosswise in half.
- On a microwave-safe plate, microwave each half, covered, on high for
- 15-30 seconds or until cheese is melted. Remove tops and add
- lettuce, tomatoes, onion and peppers. Close sandwiches; cut each in
- half. Yield: 4 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with a 1100 watt microwave.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 638 calories, 25 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 1,756 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 35 g protein.