Summer Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 8 medium yellow, green or sweet red peppers
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Pepper to taste
- 1. Cut the tops off peppers and reserve. Cook peppers in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from water and rinse with cold water; set aside. Remove stems from pepper tops and chop enough of the tops to measure 1/3 cup. (Save remaining peppers for another use.)
- 2. In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat; drain if necessary. Add the onion, cabbage, carrot, zucchini and reserved chopped peppers; saute until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Stir in the tomatoes, rice, brown sugar, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 4. Stuff hot meat mixture into peppers; warm in the microwave if necessary. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 315 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Summer Stuffed Peppers