Summer Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Growing up and living in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, we've always had fresh vegetables from the garden, and this recipe allows me to use many of them. These stuffed peppers are equally perfect for lunch or dinner.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 8 medium yellow, green or sweet red peppers
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Pepper to taste
- 1. Cut the tops off peppers and reserve. Cook peppers in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from water and rinse with cold water; set aside. Remove stems from pepper tops and chop enough of the tops to measure 1/3 cup. (Save remaining peppers for another use.)
- 2. In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat; drain if necessary. Add the onion, cabbage, carrot, zucchini and reserved chopped peppers; saute until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Stir in the tomatoes, rice, brown sugar, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 4. Stuff hot meat mixture into peppers; warm in the microwave if necessary. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat; also, 315 calories, 234 mg sodium, 67 mg cholesterol, 25 gm carbohydrate, 28 gm protein, 12 gm fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC