Summer Squash Side Dish Casserole
My daughter-in-law created this recipe and shared it with me. I was delighted, since my husband and I were cutting down on fried foods and that's the way I had always prepared squash. The recipe is versatile...it can easily be enlarged to serve for a family dinner.
-Sue Joyce, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
2 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a saucepan, combine the squash, water, onion and salt. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until
- squash is tender. Remove from the heat; cool.
- Stir in the egg, bread crumbs, butter and pepper. Transfer to a
- greased 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is
- melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 344 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 167 mg cholesterol, 1,029 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 14 g protein.