- 1 pound yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a saucepan, combine the squash, water, onion and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove from the heat; cool.
- Stir in the egg, bread crumbs, butter and pepper. Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Summer Squash Side Dish Casserole
"I made this for dinner and when I let the kids taste it, they ate the whole thing! Good thing I have lots of summer squash."
"Pretty dang good. My personal taste wants something crunchy (corn flakes, maybe?). Would make again."
"I was looking online for a squash casserole recipe and stumbled upon this one. Not many ingredients and easy to make...Right up my alley! I only had Panko crumbs and Mexican cheese on hand so I substituted it with those instead.....Delicious! My husband loved it too and wants me to make it again. Definitely saving this one."
"I was looking for something to do with summer squash other than saute it and this was a great alternative. I'd probably add some more salt, subtract some of the butter, and maybe add some Parmesan cheese next time, but there will definitely be a next time. Yum!"
"Delicious! I am so glad I doubled this recipe. I think this has already become one of my favorite ways to serve squash. I will definitely make this again. Thank you for sharing!"
"served this for guests last night and we all LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I doubled this but it would be very easy to triple or more- a sure recipe to make again!!"
"My family and I really enjoyed this recipe, it was very yummy! I added another egg to it and used onion flakes and it turned out great. Thanks for sharing!"
"My husband and I really enjoy summer squash prepared this way. It's now become the only recipe I use for summer squash. We add a more cheese than recipe calls for. Definitely comfort food at its best!!!"
"This summer squash bake is wonderful, easy, and even my kids (including husband) love it. I added a clove of minced garlic along with the onions."