Summer Squash Saute
"Yes, my family loves squash of all kinds," confirms Shelbyville, Tennessee's Jane Chartrand, who shares this fresh-tasting dish sparked with flavors of bacon and Parmesan cheese.
8-10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups halved small sunburst or pattypan squash
- 2 small yellow squash, cut into 1/2-in slices
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the
- squash, peppers and basil. Cover and cook until vegetables are
- crisp-tender. Remove from the heat; stir in vinegar and bacon.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 74 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.