Summer Squash Pie Recipe
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups sliced zucchini (1/4 inch slices)
- 2-1/2 cups sliced yellow summer squash (1/4 inch slices)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large tomato, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; brush lightly with egg. Bake 5 minutes longer. Remove to a wire rack; reduce heat to 350°
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, saute zucchini and yellow squash in oil for 10 minutes or until very tender. Sprinkle with seasonings; spoon into pastry shell. Top with tomatoes. Combine the cheese and mayonnaise; spread over the top.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 357 calories, 29g fat (9g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 459mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Summer Squash Pie
"Wonderful squash pie!"
"Easy to make and excellent flavor. The only change I would make would be to reduce or eliminate the salt if you have high blood pressure. I will make this recipe again. I believe this would be a great dish to take to a pot luck dinner."