- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups sliced zucchini (1/4 inch slices)
- 2-1/2 cups sliced yellow summer squash (1/4 inch slices)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large tomato, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; brush lightly with egg. Bake 5 minutes longer. Remove to a wire rack; reduce heat to 350°
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute zucchini and yellow squash in oil for 10 minutes or until very tender. Sprinkle with seasonings; spoon into pastry shell. Top with tomatoes. Combine the cheese and mayonnaise; spread over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Summer Squash Pie
"Wonderful squash pie!"
"Easy to make and excellent flavor. The only change I would make would be to reduce or eliminate the salt if you have high blood pressure. I will make this recipe again. I believe this would be a great dish to take to a pot luck dinner."