Summer Squash Pasta Primavera
SINCE I eat very little meat, I'm always on the lookout for vegetarian and low-fat recipes.
I came up with this recipe after a lot of experimenting. I used tomatoes as a base for the sauce, and my version of pasta primavera has been enjoyed by both family and friends.Clara DelVitto, Midlothian, Virginia
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 cup julienned green or sweet red pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup sliced yellow summer squash
- 2 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups hot cooked pasta
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until
- crisp-tender. Add the zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms; saute
- for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and basil. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Toss with pasta; sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 296 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.