- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow squash
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 10 flour tortillas (6 to 8 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- Sour cream
- In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add squash and saute until tender. Add chicken and chilies; heat through.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Add flour, chili powder, salt and pepper; stir to form a smooth paste. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Cook until sauce comes to a boil; cook an additional minute until thickened. Add 1/3 cup sauce to chicken mixture; mix well. Place 1/3 to 1/2 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla; top with 1 tablespoon cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spread remaining sauce on top.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with tomatoes and remaining cheese. Return to the oven for 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Summer Squash Enchiladas
"I MADE THIS AND I LIKED IT BUT MY HUSBAND DIDN'T SO FOR SUPPER I MADE SOME MORE WHITE SAUCE AND ADDED CHEESE SINCE I HAD FORGOTTEN TO PUT THAT IN FIRST. HE LIKED THAT. I THINK IT JUST HAD TOO MUCH CHILI POWDER SO NEXT TIME I MAKE IT I WON'T PUT SO MUCH IN. IT DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH SAUCE FOR ME SO I DOUBLED THE SAUCE BUT HALVED THE CHILI POWDER AND WOULD LEAVE THE CHILI POWDER OUT NEXT TIME. I LIKE MY ENCHILADAS WITH LOTS OF SAUCE. IT IS A VERY GOOD IDEA TO USE UP THE SUMMER SQUASH. I HAVE GOTTEN SO MANY GOOD RECIPES OFF OF TASTE OF HOME FOR SUMMERR SQUASH. I HAVE ALSO CANNED 28 QTS OF YELLOW SQUASH TO USE IN CASSEROLES AND MUFFINS THIS WINTER. THE REASON I ONLY GAVE IT 4 STARS WAS THE CHILI POWDER IN IT."
"This was easy to make and was delicious. Next time I make it, I will try chopping the squash a bit smaller. Great way to use a surplus of summer squash."