Summer Squash Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups pattypan squash, halved
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. In a large bowl, combine the soup, mayonnaise and milk. Stir in the chicken, squash, onion, pimientos, thyme, garlic powder, pepper and cooked rice.
- 2. Spoon into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until edges are bubbly and center is set. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 297 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 633 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 starch.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.