Summer Squash Bundles Recipe
- 1 green onion
- 1 medium yellow squash (6 to 8 inches long)
- 1 medium zucchini (6 to 8 inches long)
- 1/4 cup chopped leek (white portion only)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Remove white portion of green onion (discard or save for another use). Trim the onion top to 8- or 9-in. lengths. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add onion tops; boil for 1 minute or until softened. Drain and immediately place in ice water. Drain and pat dry; set aside.
- 2. Cut squash and zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp from zucchini halves, leaving a 3/8-in. shell. Discard pulp. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; fill zucchini shells. Place yellow squash halves, cut side down, over filled zucchini halves. Tie each bundle with a blanched onion top.
- 3. Wrap each bundle in a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (12 in. square). Fold foil around squash and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Yield: 2 servings.
One serving (1 squash bundle) equals 114 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 439 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.