Summer Squash Bake
From Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, Gail Smrtic shares this colorful casserole that makes the most of fresh summer squash. A handful of chopped pecans adds a nutty crunch to the creamy side dish.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 cups sliced yellow summer squash
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place squash and water in a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover and
- microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain well.
- Stir in the green pepper, onion, pecans, mayonnaise, 1/3 cup of
- cheese, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a lightly greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover
- and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 269 calories, 26 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 374 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.