An overabundant garden led to this recipe! As the vegetable crop changes with the seasons, the soup can too try using cauliflower, broccoli or garden-fresh peas.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan, cook potatoes, carrots and beans in water to cover
- until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. In a soup kettle or Dutch
- oven, saute garlic and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour
- until bubbly. Gradually add chicken broth, milk and seasonings.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Add vegetables; heat
- through. Yield: 4 servings (about 1 quart).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 235 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 672 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.