- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water or 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small sweet yellow, orange or red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain; rinse with cold water and drain again.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, water, vinegar, sugar and seasonings until blended. In a large bowl, combine macaroni, peppers, onion and celery. Add 1 cup dressing; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours or until cold. Cover and refrigerate remaining dressing to add just before serving.
- To serve, stir in reserved dressing. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews forSummer Macaroni Salad
"this sounds delicious-only thing I'll add to are the seasoning amounts, we like lots of flavor and 1/4 t garlic powder to me needs to be bumped up as do others. thanks for posting"
"Important to let it set that 2 hours after making, I liked it better the next day.I will make again"
"Good and simple taste. Perfect for the whole family from grandparents to the 3 year old."
"This was just okay for us. I found it to be a little dry for my preference, even after adding the remaining dressing just before serving. I ended up with leftovers and made another half batch of dressing to stir in the next day which helped. I also added some toasted onion powder and a few herbs to bump up the flavor a bit."
"Good salad. I did add a little pickle relish for tang."
"Love this recipe. The only change I made was to use a 1/2 cup of mayonnaise and a 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt."
"This macaroni salad is very refreshing and delicious. I like that it lacks chopped pickles and glob of mayo. The macaroni does absorb some of the dressing so it's nice that part of it is saved to add before serving. The dressing also has a nice flavor. I use Duke's Fat Free Mayonnaise."