Summer Garden Soup Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon or 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh dill or pinch dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup sliced zucchini or yellow summer squash
- 1. In large saucepan, saute onion in oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, beans, basil, tarragon, dill, salt if desired and pepper.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the broth, peas and zucchini; simmer for 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 86 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Summer Garden Soup
"This soup was fabulous!! I doubled it, used all fresh garden vegetables. I didn't have green beans so subbed okra and the peas I had on hand were lady peas from the garden. I also added a dollop of pesto on top and cornbread as a side. The Hubby thought it was tasty and he's not a huge fan of soup. This is a go to recipe for me now!"