- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain; transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, squash, zucchini and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add tomatoes; heat through. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- Reduce heat to low. Add eggs to same skillet; cook slowly, stirring constantly, until eggs reach 160° and just begins to coat a metal spoon (eggs will be frothy; do not overcook). Add to hot spaghetti; toss to coat. Add vegetables and remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSummer Carbonara
"Very excellent recipe! The flavors are so fresh and indulgent at the same time. It's a healthy meal you can feel good about. Next time, I will reduce the amount of spaghetti the recipe calls for. I had difficulty cooking the egg as well, as it immediately stuck to the pan and did not achieve the consistency described in the recipe. Otherwise, received enthusiastic compliments and will make its way to our kitchen table many times in the future!"
"Although the flavors of this recipe were good, I found some problems with the directions. Do not 'finely chop' the squash and onion, a small dice is fine (and what is shown in the picture). Also trying to cook the eggs in the same large pan I cooked the vegetables in had them from cooked to scrambled before I could blink. Once the eggs were that cooked the dish was dry. I did cut the past down to 10.7 oz but left the vegetables and seasonings the same. That worked well. [Also for health purposes used turkey bacon and only 6 slices.] Overall a good recipe just needs a few tweaks at least for our house."
"This recipe feels healthy and decadent at the same time! The flavors were fantastic! Our family will keep this recipe for forever!"
"Super delicious and flavorful! Made it with all fresh produce from our garden, and it got a big thumbs-up from everyone in my family!"
"The flavors in this meal are amazing together! I would probably add a little less pasta next time because the other ingredients are so good I want more in each bite. And it uses vegetables that are all in season at the same time and easy to find from your local growers! Major bonus in my book. This one's a keeper!"
"The fresh basil tastes great, my very pickey husband enjoyed this dish too!"
"The flavor of this dish is good, but I had to add 2 tbsp. of olive oil and about a cup of warm milk to the finished product. It was so dry and stiff that I could barely mix it. Once that was done, it was very good. It serves more than six, for sure!!"