Summer Carbonara Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onion, squash, zucchini and garlic in oil until tender. Add tomatoes; heat through. Remove and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to low; add eggs to the skillet. Cook and stir until egg mixture coats a metal spoon and reaches 160° (mixture will look like a soft frothy egg). Drain spaghetti and place in a bowl. Add eggs; toss to coat. Add the vegetable mixture, cheese, bacon, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; toss gently to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Summer Carbonara(7)
Sort By :
Very excellent recipe! The flavors are so fresh and indulgent at the same time. It's a healthy meal you can feel good about. Next time, I will reduce the amount of spaghetti the recipe calls for. I had difficulty cooking the egg as well, as it immediately stuck to the pan and did not achieve the consistency described in the recipe. Otherwise, received enthusiastic compliments and will make its way to our kitchen table many times in the future!
Although the flavors of this recipe were good, I found some problems with the directions. Do not 'finely chop' the squash and onion, a small dice is fine (and what is shown in the picture). Also trying to cook the eggs in the same large pan I cooked the vegetables in had them from cooked to scrambled before I could blink. Once the eggs were that cooked the dish was dry. I did cut the past down to 10.7 oz but left the vegetables and seasonings the same. That worked well. [Also for health purposes used turkey bacon and only 6 slices.] Overall a good recipe just needs a few tweaks at least for our house.
This recipe feels healthy and decadent at the same time! The flavors were fantastic! Our family will keep this recipe for forever!
Super delicious and flavorful! Made it with all fresh produce from our garden, and it got a big thumbs-up from everyone in my family!
The flavors in this meal are amazing together! I would probably add a little less pasta next time because the other ingredients are so good I want more in each bite. And it uses vegetables that are all in season at the same time and easy to find from your local growers! Major bonus in my book. This one's a keeper!