Summer Berry Salsa
Other fruits are often used in relishes and sauces, but I decided to make one with my favorites - strawberries and blueberries. I get rave reviews when I serve this fruity, distinctive salsa over meat. It's also delicious atop a spinach or lettuce salad.
-Diane Hixon, Niceville, Florida
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the berries, sugar, onion, lemon juice,
- pepper and hot pepper sauce. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Just
- before serving, stir in almonds. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: One 1/4-cup serving equals 42 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fruit.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.