Sugary Orange Peel Recipe
- 4 medium navel oranges
- 2 to 3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- 2 teaspoons shortening, optional
- 1. With a knife, score the peel from each orange into quarters. With fingers, remove peel and white pith attached. Place peel in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Drain and repeat twice.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine 1 cup of sugar, water and salt. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Drain peel and add to syrup. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until syrup is almost all absorbed, stirring occasionally. (Watch carefully to prevent scorching.) Drain any remaining syrup.
- 3. Cool orange peel in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet for 1 hour. Cut into 1/8-in. to 1/4-in. strips. Sprinkle remaining sugar on an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan. Sprinkle strips over sugar; toss to coat. Let stand for 8 hours or overnight, tossing occasionally.
- 4. If desired, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip one end of each orange strip into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Let stand on waxed paper until set. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks. Yield: 5 cups.
1/4 cup: 90 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), trace protein
Reviews for Sugary Orange Peel
"Sticky. The sugar sprinkled on for the last step just liquified. Tasted good, but very messy."
"Last year I tried these and the whole family was very sceptical at first but once they tried them, they loved it.It will now become a traditional Christmas candy!"