I make Christmas Eve magical with hot cocoa and toasted slices of this fragrant, fruit-studded bread. My son and I combined several recipes to come up with this winner. —Jackie Brown, Tully, New York
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup diced dried fruit
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 4 cups flour, yeast, cardamom, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Heat milk to 120°-130°; add to creamed mixture and beat until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Turn onto a heavily floured surface. Sprinkle with fruit and raisins; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divided into eight portions. Shape into loaves. Place in eight greased 5-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream butter and shortening. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost loaves. Yield: 8 mini loaves.
Originally published as Sugarplum Spice Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p51
Reviews for Sugarplum Spice Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 20, 2012
"going to cut this in 1/2 and try in my bread machine----it sounds tooooo good to pass up!!!!!!"