Sugared Walnut Fruit Salad
In Washington Court House, Ohio, Clara Coulston stirs sweetened walnuts into this colorful salad that includes oranges, grapes and strawberries. "It's easy to remove the skin from the kiwifruit with a vegetable peeler," she suggests."I also use a mango instead of a peach when available."
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 2 cups seedless red grapes
- 2 medium kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium peach, chopped or 3/4 cup frozen sliced peaches, thawed and chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel, optional
- In a small bowl, combine walnuts and water; drain. Toss walnuts with
- sugar. Spread in a single layer on a greased foil-lined baking
- sheet. Bake at 350° for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown. Cool
- on pan, stirring occasionally.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the oranges, grapes, kiwi, peach and
- strawberries. Sprinkle with sugared walnuts; toss lightly. Sprinkle
- with orange peel if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.