Folks like these tender twists because they aren't rich or overly sweet. I usually double the recipe to feed our five eager eaters and fill holiday gift plates for friends.
30 ServingsPrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 3-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- Red and green or multicolored nonpareils
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt. Cut
- in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the eggs, sour
- cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir into flour mixture; beat until
- smooth. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Combine remaining sugar and
- vanilla; sprinkle some over work surface. Roll each portion of dough
- into a 15-in. x 5-in. rectangle. Fold in thirds; sprinkle with
- additional sugar mixture. Repeat rolling and folding twice.
- Cut into 5-in. x 1-in. strips. Sprinkle with nonpareils; press down