Sugared Twists Recipe
Folks like these tender twists because they aren't rich or overly sweet. I usually double the recipe to feed our five eager eaters and fill holiday gift plates for friends.
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- Red and green or multicolored nonpareils
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt. Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 2. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the eggs, sour cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir into flour mixture; beat until smooth. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide in half. Combine remaining sugar and vanilla; sprinkle some over work surface. Roll each portion of dough into a 15-in. x 5-in. rectangle. Fold in thirds; sprinkle with additional sugar mixture. Repeat rolling and folding twice.
- 4. Cut into 5-in. x 1-in. strips. Sprinkle with nonpareils; press down lightly. Twist and place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Sugared Twists
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC