Sugared Rhubarb Muffins Recipe
"These lovely lightly sweet muffins make a memorable breakfast treat and are also great with a soup or salad," relates Corrie Davidson, Rainier, Alberta.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
One muffin equals 226 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 153 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC