Sugared Rhubarb Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 each: 226 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Sugared Rhubarb Muffins
"These were pretty good, but you should definitely use fresh rhubarb."
"These were very tasty! I did make a few changes, just so these would work with our dietary guidelines we live by. I susbstituted 3/4 c. honey for the sugar, I used white whole wheat flour instead of AP, I used yogurt instead of oil and 2 egg whites instead of 1 whole egg. I also chose not to sugar the top of the muffins. And I baked them in mini muffin tins (mini muffin yield was 35, and the bake time reduced to 14 minutes at 350). These were phenomenal! We loved them!!"
"The family loved these muffins. I did add more Rhubarb to make it more tangy and used raw sugar to top it. Great breakfast muffin!"
"These were pretty good, next time will add more rhubarb and probably cut back on sugar. I also did not sprinkle the recommended 1/4 cup of sugar over the top of the muffins, maybe a tsp per muffin at the most - and I made jumbo muffins. I also used 2 egg whites rather than 1 egg to cut some fat and calories. All in all were good, but not the best."