When I was a youngster, Mom always baked these tender old-fashioned cookies dotted with chewy dates and crunchy walnuts. Much to the delight of my family, I've continued her delicious tradition.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in milk and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in dates and nuts.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 22-25 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Roll warm cookies in confectioners' sugar; cool on wire racks. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Sugared Date Balls in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p30
Reviews for Sugared Date Balls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 16, 2012
"I have been on the hunt for the perfect date cookie recipe for awhile. A favorite of my Mom's and I have finally found it! I can't wait to make them for her!Also, the cookies DO taste better after you let them sit a day. So, make them ahead of time."
Reviewed Mar. 20, 2010
"Quick, small batch and the longer they set the better they taste."