Sugared Citrus Walnuts
These sweet nuts are great at a holiday party or to give as a gift. People just can't stop snacking on them once they've started. My grandmother encouraged me to try new things in the kitchen when I was young, and I still do that today. I hope my son will follow in his mother's and great-grandmother's culinary footsteps!
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup grated orange peel
- 3 cups walnut halves
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with foil and butter the
- foil; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and
- orange juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy
- thermometer reads 244° (firm-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in lemon and orange peel. Add walnuts;
- stir to coat. Transfer to prepared pan. Cool, stirring several
- times. Yield: about 5 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 357 calories, 20 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.