Sugared Cherry Jewels Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional sugar
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the corn syrup, egg yolks and vanilla. Gradually add the flour and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Roll into 1-in. balls; roll each ball in additional sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each. Press a cherry half in the center.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 14-16 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
2 each: 132 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 71mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Sugared Cherry Jewels
"This cookie is delicious, but you have to let the dough chill about two hours or they will flatten out when you cook them. Use parchment paper, and let them cool completely before trying to move them. Also, I used maraschino cherries, but even after draining them they stained my cookies and looked like bloody bullet holes. Not attractive! Next time I will use candied cherries, not maraschino cherries."
"Mine came out completely flat and when I tried to remove them from my greased cookie sheet they just buckled into an ugly mess. I ate the crumbs though and it did taste good but I think something is also missing from the recipe."
"Mine came out flat, is there an ingredient missing? They were very tasty though."
"Mine turned out exactly like the picture and made the full five dozen. I sent my sister a variety of cookies and this was her absolute favorite. They were a big hit."
"Mine came out flater than picture, 1 inch roll is all you need, but it doesn't make 5 dozOverall a good cookie"
"I made these last year for my cookie trays, and ended up picking most of these out myself. They were delicious!"
"I made this for a Christmas concert tonight. The plate is clean and had requests for the recipe"
"This cookies had GREAT flavor and easy to make!!"
"I made these tonight to take to work to help shake off the January blues. Now I don't even want to take them to work. They are too good to share!! They are easy, made with things in my pantry and taste amazing! They are one of the best cookies I've ever made."
"These are the best cookies yet! Soft melt in your mouth cookies. Really a nice blend of flavors. We rolled ours in colored sugar, red and green, for Christmas. Our 4 1/2 year old Dylan does not like cookies but offered to eat all the cherries off of these cookies."