Sugarcoated Meltaways Recipe
I have fond memories of my parents spending days in the kitchen baking Christmas cookies. It's a tradition that my husband and I now happily carry on. —Charlotte Wright, Lebanon, Connecticut
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, combine orange juice and peel; set aside. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in water and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- 2. Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. Strain reserved orange juice. Dip cookies in juice, then roll in additional sugar. Let dry. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 93 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 41 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC