I first made these cupcakes, adapted from an eggless cake recipe, for a school carnival. It's the only dessert my picky daughter requests. Light, moist and tender, the cupcakes don't need frosting, thanks to the sparkly cinnamon-sugar topping.
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold brewed coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat 1-1/2 cups sugar, oil, vinegar and vanilla until well blended. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture until blended. Stir in coffee.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle half of the mixture over batter. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Immediately sprinkle remaining cinnamon-sugar over cupcakes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Sugar-Topped Mocha Cupcakes in Country Woman July/August 2005, p35
Reviews for Sugar-Topped Mocha Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review