- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Decorating icing and/or colored sugars
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2- to 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugars as desired.
- Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate with icing and additional sugars if desired. Yield: 10 dozen.
Reviews for Sugar Star & Flag Cookies
"Didn't make 120 cookies at 1/4 inch. I got about 60. They taste better with lemon frosting."
"Great cookies! I always like finding soft cookie recipes. I used the Royal Icing and it set up great. I didn't use a pastry bag, I only made stars and just spread it on with a knife. I decreased the baking time on mine because I thought they were getting too brown, maybe I made them a bit thinner than the recipe called for. I actually shipped them to my husband overseas!"
"Delicious cookies, but I have never been able to get 10 dozen out of the dough though."
"This was an excellent recipe, easy to make and rolled out and tasted great. Only I made them as "Canada Day" cookies and everyone wanted the recipe. Thank You!"
"These cookies were a pain to ice and really didn't have any flavor."