Sugar Star & Flag Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Decorating icing and/or colored sugars
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2- to 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugars as desired.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate with icing and additional sugars if desired. Yield: 10 dozen.
1 each: 51 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 42mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Sugar Star & Flag Cookies
"Didn't make 120 cookies at 1/4 inch. I got about 60. They taste better with lemon frosting."
"Great cookies! I always like finding soft cookie recipes. I used the Royal Icing and it set up great. I didn't use a pastry bag, I only made stars and just spread it on with a knife. I decreased the baking time on mine because I thought they were getting too brown, maybe I made them a bit thinner than the recipe called for. I actually shipped them to my husband overseas!"
"Delicious cookies, but I have never been able to get 10 dozen out of the dough though."
"This was an excellent recipe, easy to make and rolled out and tasted great. Only I made them as "Canada Day" cookies and everyone wanted the recipe. Thank You!"
"These cookies were a pain to ice and really didn't have any flavor."
"What frosting recipe did everyone use?"
"I brought these to a party and they were a big hit! I put in orange peel and orange juice instead of lemon, and everyone loved them!"
"We had plenty to share and they were well received."
"loved the cookies, and yes it does indeed make lots of cookies!!"
"Yes, it has a lot of butter, cream cheese, sugar, and eggs, but it makes 120 cookies! One cookie only has 51 calories and 2 grams fat. Think before you criticize please."
"I had the same thought. Why is this in the "Low Fat" category?"
"This recipe is low fat????? Doesn't look so, with the 2 cups sugar, butter and cream cheese."