Sugar Star & Flag Cookies Recipe
A favorite cookie to send to troops overseas, these soft sugar cookies ship well and taste great!—Susan Whetzel, Pearisburg, VA
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/4 hours + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:120 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Decorating icing and/or colored sugars
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2- to 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugars as desired.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate with icing and additional sugars if desired. Yield: 10 dozen.
1 cookie equals 51 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 42 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC