While working as a secretary in a library, I got a request from someone looking for a sugar plum recipe. I searched high and low but eventually stumbled upon this version in a local publication.Virginia Barber, Waynesville, Georgia
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, beat eggs for 1 minute. Gradually add 1 cup sugar;
- beat 1 minute longer or until thickened. Stir in the almonds,
- coconut, dates and extracts. Transfer to an ungreased 11-in x 7-in.
- baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until browned and a thermometer
- reads 160°. Remove from the oven; stir. Let stand for 6-8
- minutes or until cool enough to handle. Roll into 1-in. balls; roll
- in remaining sugar. Cool completely on waxed paper. Store in an
- airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sugar plum equals 79 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 11 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.