Sugar Plum Sweet Rolls Recipe
My sweet rolls are a cross between cinnamon buns and kolaches. Package some in decorative cellophane bags for homemade gifts.
- 2 envelopes (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups pitted dried plums
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 4 teaspoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the warm milk, butter, egg yolks, sugar, salt and 5 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; spread over each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut into 1-in. slices.
- 4. Place rolls, cut side down, in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pans for 5 minutes before inverting onto serving plates.
- 5. Combine the confectioner's sugar, pecans, orange juice and peel until blended. Spoon over warm rolls. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 roll equals 321 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 242 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC