Sugar Plum Scones Recipe
Dried plums and a sprinkling of coarse sugar make these treats delightfully Christmasy. Spread them with butter, cream cheese or preserves.—Julie McQuiston, Bradenton, Florida
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup pitted dried plums, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk egg and buttermilk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in plums and orange peel. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- 2. Divide dough in half; pat each into a 7-in. circle. Cut each into six wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Combine egg and milk; brush over scones. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 scone equals 279 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 288 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC