Sugar Plum Fairy Cupcakes Recipe
These cupcakes are sure to dazzle guests, especially children who love the glittery frosting. Display a few on your table for an eye-catching, and delicious, centerpiece.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup plum jam
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Edible glitter and coarse sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a very small tip. Fill with jam. Push the tip through the top to fill each cupcake.
- 4. For frosting, combine the sugar, egg whites, water and cream of tartar in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- 5. Pipe frosting over cupcakes; sprinkle with glitter and coarse sugar. Yield: 18 cupcakes.
1 each: 262 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 0g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Sugar Plum Fairy Cupcakes
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC