Sugar Plum Cake Recipe
My Southern grandmothers taught me to cook when I was a boy. As I grew older, I specialized in cakes, pies and pastries. I bake several of these cakes each Christmas to give as gifts.—Mark Brown, Birmingham, Alabama
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:16-20 servings
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 jars (6 ounces each) strained plum baby food
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 jar (4 ounces) strained plum-apple baby food
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, baby food, oil and eggs until well blended. Combine the flour, cinnamon and cloves; gradually beat into plum mixture until blended. Stir in pecans.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over top and sides of cake. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 280 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 156 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC