Sugar Glazed Violets
These are the perfect garnish for any cake. They look so beautiful and will impress all of your guests at your next party.Bernard Bellin, Franklin, Wisconsin
24 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 dozen wild violets (including stems but not leaves), washed
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Place sugar in a shallow
- bowl. Holding violets by the stem, dip one at a time into egg whites
- and then sugar, covering all surfaces.
- Place in a single layer on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; snip off
- stems. Using a toothpick, separate petals to return to their
- original shape. Sprinkle sugar on any uncoated areas. Dry in a
- 200° oven for 30-40 minutes or until sugar crystallizes.
- Carefully remove violets to wire racks with a spatula or fork.
- Sprinkle again with sugar if violets appear syrupy. Cool. Store in
- airtight containers with waxed paper between layers for up to 1
- week. Yield: 6 dozen.
Editor's Note: Only pick flowers from chemical-free woods or lawns. Also, be sure your blossoms come from the common wild violet, not the
African houseplant, which is inedible.