- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar or colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, oil and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 1-in. balls; dip tops in sugar or colored sugar. Place sugar side up 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Reviews for Sugar Gems
"I used this recipe for a cookie bar. I had these cookies plated with butter cream frosting and fresh blackberries, kiwi, and red raspberries. My party built little cookie sandwiches. Everyone loved these cookies. I cut the recipe in half since it mentioned it yields 7 dozen. However when I cut the recipe in half and used a size # 60 scoop the recipe only yielded 18 cookies. Next time I will make the recipe as noted. The only thing I kept the same was I still used 1 tsp of vanilla. These cookies had the perfect texture, soft, chewing and sturdy for the frosting."
"I've made these many times. They're like an old fashioned sugar cookie. Yum!"
"According to the Best of Country cookies cookbook it is 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar."
"ingredients does not call for cream tarter, but directions does. what amount of cream?"