If you don't have much luck with rolled sugar cookies, give these a try. Oil and confectioners' sugar give them a unique crispness.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar or colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, oil and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 1-in. balls; dip tops in sugar or colored sugar. Place sugar side up 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Originally published as Sugar Gems in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p69
Reviews for Sugar Gems
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review