Sugar-Free Raisin Bars
Syracuse, Nebraska cook Betty Ruenholl remarks, "My mother is diabetic so I keep these moist, golden bars on hand for dessert. I even serve them during the holidays. They're a nice light snack for everyone."
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook raisins, water, butter, cinnamon
- and nutmeg until butter is melted; continue cooking for 3 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Spread into an 8-in. square baking dish that has been sprayed with
- cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly
- browned. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving equals 92 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.