Sugar Doves Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 3-1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk and vanilla.
- 2. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. bird-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a small bowl, combine shortening, confectioners' sugar, milk, extracts and enough water to achieve spreading consistency.
- 5. Frost cookies. Arrange walnuts over the bodies and almonds for feathers. Add chocolate chip eyes. Yield: 7-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie: 145 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Sugar Doves
"I ordered the dove cookie cutter as the other reviewer suggested from Williams-Sonoma and received it in 3 days and with free shipping. Can't wait to start baking. Okay I had to change my rating. I give it 5 stars for appearance but 3 for taste. Really cute and fun to decorate! But I did not care for the cookie at all. It really lacked flavor and was dry. Field Editor since July, 2013"
"I can't wait to make these adorable cookies.Does anyone know where I can find that particular cookie cutter online? I've found other dove shapes, but I love THIS one.Thanks for the great recipe!"
"I used my favorite sugar recipe (because I already had some made) and took this idea to decorate them. Very elegant!"
"This is also my favorite plain sugar cookie recipe. They taste better than any other I've tried."