- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 3-1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk and vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. bird-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine shortening, confectioners' sugar, milk, extracts and enough water to achieve spreading consistency.
- Frost cookies. Arrange almonds over the bodies and walnuts over the heads. Add chocolate chip eyes. Yield: 7-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Sugar Doves
Sort By :
The sugar cookie itself was just average, but it looked spectacular on the cookie tray!! Most people commented that it was too pretty to eat. Will definitely make these again
I ordered the dove cookie cutter as the other reviewer suggested from Williams-Sonoma and received it in 3 days and with free shipping. Can't wait to start baking. Okay I had to change my rating. I give it 5 stars for appearance but 3 for taste. Really cute and fun to decorate! But I did not care for the cookie at all. It really lacked flavor and was dry. Field Editor since July, 2013
To find dove cookie cutter type in Google dove cookie cutter. Williams-Sonoma has them and also TheFind has a large variety of doves flying ones, spread wings, small , large, extra large, check it out, the one is only $2.00 at Williams-Sonoma.com Hope this helps you, happy holidays.
I have made these for 10 years and are always included in my Christmas cookie selection. Always include a note with the cookies: Jesus is symbolized in the bible by the dove. May your Christmas be filled with peace, joy and a whole lot of DOVE!
I can't wait to make these adorable cookies.
Does anyone know where I can find that particular cookie cutter online? I've found other dove shapes, but I love THIS one.
Thanks for the great recipe!