- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Additional sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in sugar. Place on greased baking sheet; flatten with a glass. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
"The cookies were great, I'll be making them, Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe."
"Great recipe! I used lemon extract instead of vanilla. Wonderful flavor!!"
"Just made a batch of these for the first time and I LOVE them!!! I think they're a lot like a delicate shortbread cookie. Not for rolling out and using a cookie cutter. I did sprinkle half the cookies with extra sugar for more sweetness and those are more like a sugar cookie taste. I used a tablespoon measuring spoon for a scoop and got about 2 dozen. I will definitely make these again."
"I made these cookies with a GF flour and they turned out great."
"Very disappointed with this recipe! I've been baking for over 40 years. Cookies were not sweet enough and turned out crumbly looking after baking. I made these for a club meeting at school, but I will not bring these cookies. I'll stop by the store in the morning to pick up something to bring to the meeting."