Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Additional sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in sugar. Place on greased baking sheet; flatten with a glass. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
"I have made a lot of Sugar cookies over the years and have to say this is the best ever! If you make 1" balls as stated you will get 5 dozen 2" cookies...perfect size to add to gift baskets. Also if you have problems with the cookie spreading too much, don't push down much on the glass...just enough to take away the ball look but leave it thicker....bakes up very nice."
"Very nice dough and easy to roll into balls because it isn't sticky. I dropped red food coloring and mixed it in the sugar and also a section of green amd let them mix a little. It made it very festive and not just plain white. All of them looked a little different. It creates a lovely light crisp on the edges and chewy center when they are not. Now I just have to try them after they've cooled. This might be that go to cookie I've been looking for."
"This is by far the best sugar cookie recipe I have ever used! My daughter is not normally a big fan of cookies but she LOVED these as much as the rest of my family did. Thank you for the great recipe!"
"Can't wait to try these, they sound wonderful!"
"My daughters made these today and they were AWESOME! A BIG hit in our house!"