- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Additional sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in additional sugar. Place on greased baking sheets; flatten with a glass. Bake until set, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Sugar Cookies
"Wonderful cookie!! I followed the recipe and they turned out perfect!!!! Definitely is a keeper, and husband approved!! Made 35 cookies."
"One star short because although the cookies are delectable, the recipe DOES NOT MAKE 60 cookies. It made three dozen plus two. That's a pretty significant difference. Someone should change the recipe page to reflect it."
"Easy to make. 1 inch balls are small but what's needed because they do spread a little. Plenty sweet. I added some of the decorative sugar crystals to tops and tapped into tops. Also used some colored sugars. Crunchy. Love them"
"Very very easy. Cooked for about a minute less than recommended. Came out soft and delicious. I squashed them to about 1/2 an inch each."
"Wonderful recipe. I used coconut oil for the shortening, and otherwise followed the recipe as written. They came out perfect."
"The cookies were great, I'll be making them, Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe."
"Great recipe! I used lemon extract instead of vanilla. Wonderful flavor!!"
"Just made a batch of these for the first time and I LOVE them!!! I think they're a lot like a delicate shortbread cookie. Not for rolling out and using a cookie cutter. I did sprinkle half the cookies with extra sugar for more sweetness and those are more like a sugar cookie taste. I used a tablespoon measuring spoon for a scoop and got about 2 dozen. I will definitely make these again."
"I made these cookies with a GF flour and they turned out great."