- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Additional sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in sugar. Place on greased baking sheet; flatten with a glass. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
"These are good but not the soft sugar cookie I'm looking for. I did remove them from the oven at 9 minutes and they were slightly crunchy on the outside and somewhat chewy on the inside. I also got 55 good sized cookies."
"The recipe is easy and delicious, but there is NO WAY it makes 60 cookies. My daughter used a ruler to make 1" balls, and they were small. If she had made them any smaller, they would be thumbprint cookies. I would always double the recipe from now on...."
"they were great!!!! i can not wait until my family can make them again."
"These cookies taste great! As a Taste of Home volunteer food editor, I am always trying different versions of classic cookies. Easy to assemble. Our dough was too soft to roll. So simply scooped and gently tossed in colored sprinkles for valentines. Baked perfect!"