Sugar Cookies Recipe
This sugar cookie recipe is truly an "oldie," dating back to a Swedish woman born in 1877! Her daughter, Esther Davis, shared the recipe with me and she came up with all the exact measurements, since the original cookies were mixed by "feel" and taste. These are my favorite cookies and I hope they'll become yours as well. —Helen Wallis, Vancouver, Washington
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Additional sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- 2. Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in sugar. Place on greased baking sheet; flatten with a glass. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 119 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 61 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC