- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition (dough will be sticky). Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes with floured cookie cutters.
- Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 1-2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Add food coloring if desired. Frost cookies. Yield: about 9 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Sugar Cookies with Sour Cream
"expected to have problems rolling out after reading last review:my 1st time doing rollouts and they were easy to mix up and roll out: added vanilla to coookie dough: other than that did just as recipe says....did use pastry sheet to roll on..good cookies"
"The picture of these cookies looked so yummy! However, after mixing all of the ingredients and then letting the dough refrigerate overnight, it was impossible to roll out the dough even after using a floured surface. The dough stuck to the floured wax paper, the rolling pin, and the cookie cut-out. I ended up throwing out all of the dough and going back to my old trusted sugar cookie cut out recipe from taste of home that I have been making for the past ten years."